Tuesday, February 28, 2012

'WOYWW - 02/29/2012 - Art Journals, Ribbons, Metal Tapes. Oh, my!'

by Mary Lou 'LuLu' Haynes

Howdy and welcome,

For WOYWW this week, I thought you might like to see some of my Art Journals in progress. Last year I fell in love with ribbon and now adorn the wire bindings of my AJs with ribbons, ribbons and more ribbons.

On the left is a stack of metal tape (aluminum repair tape), on the right a 'gaggle of glazes' that I concocted. Click here for my tutorial on how to emboss and paint metal tape.

These are two of my AJs using my fave books - Canson Montval Field Watercolor Book (Acid Free, 140lb cold press, Watercolor Paper).







MOST RANDOM GOODNESS:
All ribbons were selected randomly from my stash - and then randomly tied onto wire binding. I prefer not to have matchy-match colors.

Do you create Art Journals? What brand is your favorite store bought blank book to use for journals? Have you tried Canson watercolor? Moleskine watercolor? Do you embellish your bindings with ribbons, and other goodies?

Thanks for stopping by. Would love for you to Follow me and comment on this post - or any of my other posts. Also, check out my MUSIC tab!

STAY TUNED for my spring Giveaway coming in March! And see more artists desks at this fun hop WOYWW!

Peace,
LuLu


21 comments:

peggy aplSEEDS said...

those ribbons look yummy and a great way to use all the little scrap ribbons. thanks for the inspiration! and i think i will check out the hardware store and see if we have those metal tapes. happy WOYWW, and thanks for sharing!
hugs,
peggy aplSEEDS

scrappymo! said...

I don't make art jurnals but I do other papercrafting. I use ribbons on the handles of buckets, self bound scrapbooks bound with bind-it-all. I like tons of ribbons too!

Hazel said...

Lots of delicious ribbons - love to see them used like this (Hazel, WOYWW #5) x

Spyder said...

I've never made an art journal, but keep saying I want to! So now to put the coggs in motion and find time! Great pictures and journals Happy WOYWW! Lyn #20 I think!

May said...

whoop whoop!!! lots of yummy fibres & ribbon! I have never made an art journal but keep saying I will, looks like that time has come,Have a great week, Hugs May x x x x

CraftygasheadZo said...

AJ look amazing I love the randomness of your ribbon choices. I haven't created an AJ yet but am inspired to do so by all those I see while nosing. Happy Wednesday to you, enjoy this week's snoop of oh so creative places & take care. Zo xx 83

Debbie Rock said...

I also LoVe tying on ribbons like that ... and can't wait to see what you do with your little books! Happy WOYWWing. Debbie #89

Trish Latimer said...

Oh yes, trying ribbons to things is a favourite thing of mine (and adding eyelash yarn in there too to add some texture!) Looks fab!! Trish #75

Peggy said...

love seeing your journals I'm working on a Visual Journal I'm saving the outside for the very end... thanks for sharing

Danielle said...

Loved seeing that big pile of ribbon, so colorful and fun! dani43

Julie said...

I love your non matchy matchy style! Thanks for sharing!
Julie
#156

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

I have never done any journalling of any kind, but it looks like a lot of fun. Have a good week. xx Maggie #9

Karen said...

I love your journals, the ribbons finish them off perfectly, they are gorgeous :)

Have a great WOYWW and a fab week, Luv Karen xx

Joynana said...

Love how you have decorated your art journal. I do journal and right now my favorite is the mixed media journal by strathmore. I love the texture of it. #113

Sarah said...

Those are FABulous ribbons - they will be beauties! Sarah at 1 having a late WOYWW peek on Friday!

Mary Ann Tate said...

What a super idea using the ribbon that way...love it:)

layers said...

Hi Lulu, thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment on my wabi sabi post.. so I have stopped by your blog.. I see that you love colorful papers and collage and art journals.. and are having a lot of fun.

Serendipity Stamping said...

Ribons, ribbons and more ribbons - bring um on. Love your art journals. Will check out the metal/aluminum strips. Have a great week.
#160

Coleen said...

Hi MaryLu, thought I'd drop by since I haven't in a looonnnggg time. You have such a lovely blog. I am following here and hope you will follow on mine if you are not already. I can see your interest in things french. Let me know. I do art journals too so it was fun to see your books. I recently decided I'm not buying anymore journals but shall from now on do them in old books. That's something I have a lot of. Of course, they don't usually have the fun spiral bindings to decorate with ribbon. Cheers,
Coleen in Ukraine

Katie said...

I love all of the ribbons! I think its great that they aren't matchy matchy, it really adds to the project!

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I'm sorry it has taken me so long to reply, a bad cold had me down, but I wanted to get around and say hi before tomorrow's WOYWW!

Hettie said...

Lovely books and I do so love adding ribbon like you have - though Hubby sometimes thinks it can be too much!! Hello??? No such thing as too much ribbon ey?!!!

Search Internet