Wednesday, October 14, 2020

WOYWW 593 - What's On Your Workstation Wednesday?

by Mary Lou 'LuLu' Haynes

I've been MIA dealing with Life's roller coaster.
But I have missed posting to my blog.  Maybe I can be more consistent in future.

Meanwhile, as I'm feeling better at the moment, I decided to finally sort through the ephemera I inherited from my paternal grandmother and ORIGINAL family historian and scrapbooker, Mary. (I inherited her dozens of scrapbooks - none of which were archival safe...)





Closeup of inherited ephemera circa 1957, 1958, 1968, etc.


I found lots of Granny's business cards, Mother's Day cards, Mother's Day telegrams, receipts, Irish Sweepstakes books and ticket stubs. Even found a hand written recipe for hair color - she was a licensed beautician and had her own beauty salon. Most dates are 1957, 1958, 1968. 

There were LOTS of unused raffle tickets for her 'teas'. Also, several letters (in their envelopes with old postage stamps) from her ladies' clubs - she was a member of several clubs. Also one program from a 1967 Cotillion. I was in one of her club's  cotillions as a sub-debutante, but this program was not from my cotillion.

There were also a few folded newspaper clippings and Wrigley Spearmint chewing gum wrappers (?)

Her hoard  was in a plastic bag. There is also an old cigar box full of random playing cards. I definitely am her granddaughter. I inherited the pack-rat/hoarding gene from BOTH sides of my family! (Good thing I'm an artist/crafter).

Some of these old items  I've earmarked for one of my heritage  scrapbooks  about Granny  that I continue to update. The remaining ephemera I'll (dry fit) collage to scan/save. Then use those pieces in my own glue books, junk journals, and art journals. 

Woo-hoo! Great vintage ephemera that I don't have to pay for!

Visit Stamping Ground here to see more WOYWW craft desks!

Thanks for visiting!

Peace,
LuLu


12 comments:

Diana Taylor said...

What an amazing collection of ephemera, and it must mean so much being directly linked to your family.
I tried getting to your blog via the link in WOYWW but got back to my own blog so I don't know what happened with blogger but you might want to check it out - it could be my blog playing up or your link!
Hope you have a great week, and thanks for the visit to my blog,
Diana x #10

My name is Cindy said...

What a delightful collection! I'm sure you will have fun with tat, even more special because of the family collection. Happy WOYWW, stay well, stay safe, Cindy #21

Dorlene Durham said...

Wow! That is so cool! I bet you’re having fun going through the bag and box. Have a great week! Dorlene #30

Sarah Brennan said...

What a fabulous collection of ephemera Lulu and all the more precious because it was your grandmothers. Good to meet you. Stay safe Sarah #3

Julia Dunnit said...

Good to see you LuLu! Talk about trash and treasure - the bag full from your Grandmother is amazing to us crafters...I love that there was even chewing gum wrappers, a great social history right there in one bag! I bet you’ll enjoy every time you use something.

glitterandglue said...

Hi Lulu. My goodness - what a collection. Have FUN! I'm sure you will think of lots of ways to use all those interesting bits and pieces. Seeing all this it has certainly given me pause for thought. I have two of the most lovely wooden boxes full of things from my grandmother and great grandmothers...
Take care. God bless.
Margaret #4

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Lulu, what an amazing collection to inherit! Such a shame about the non- archival scrapbooks, but of course I'm sure that wasn't even known about back then, so much we learn as time goes on. The scanning is a great idea, at least you'll know it's all safe to use. Stay safe, have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #7X

Karen said...

How fun to have so many treasures to junk journal with. I remember making chains out of gum wrappers maybe that's what she was saving them for?? Enjoy the collection ~ Love, Karen #26

Shoshi said...

A fabulous collection of ephemera to play with, Lulu. I came here via a comment you left on another blog because your WOYWW link is taking me to my old Blogger blog page for some reason. Anyway, glad I made it here in the end!

Happy belated WOYWW,
Shoshi #17

Crafting With Jack said...

What a fabulous collection of pieces to find and what great sentimental value to. I am sure you will get great enjoyment from it. A belated happy WOYWW Angela #29

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I'm late this week as I was out in the garden all day yesterday and so on catch up today. That is an amazing collection and I hope we get to see how you use it. Wishing you a very happy belated woyww, Angela x19x

Lillianb said...

What an amazing thig to have all that history of your grandmothers.

Thank you for your visit,

Take care stay well and safe,

Lilian B # 8

Search Internet