Wednesday, October 28, 2020

WOYWW 595 - Craft Studio Re-org 'Hau'l with Paints and Glazes Galore!

by Mary Lou 'LuLu' Haynes

Howdy and Welcome!

This week's WOYWW was the perfect impetus for me to re-org some supplies. 

I decided to consolidate ALL of my acrylic paints. So I went 'shopping' in my craft studio, my basement studio, and my travel art kits. It's amazing what kind of 'haul' resulted just from my own paint supplies!
I did not count the paints yet, but there were a lot!

The 'Haul' of acrylic paints - all 4 containers together.


Although I'm not yet done with testing the bottles to weed out the dried up paints, and adding Retarder to the wet bottles, I did manage to sort what I found into basic categories. There were plenty of containers and bins to group my 'haul' into logical categories. That's how I think - in categories -  and how I work in my studio.

Two shoeboxes of tube acrylics - with Arteza metallics separate

   
There are 2 shoeboxes for the basement paints. These are the tube acrylics that I use in gelli plate printing in the basement at my mini' wet studio. But now that winter is approaching, it's too cold to work in the basement. So these 2 boxes are stored upstairs until warmer weather in the Spring/Summer. Then I'll take them to print downstairs again.

The remainder of this haul is bottled paints. These are stored in a large white basket that I fit into a shallow wheeled tray. This 'tray' is one of 3 tiers of the 'Busy Box' from The Container Store. I actually put casters on all 3 tiers so that I can roll supplies around instead of carrying them (I'm a weakling). The basket JUST fits in the Busy Box tray with enough empty space around the perimeter to store the Neutrals (gray, black, white, cream).


Inside the large basket, I grouped the paints into 4 categories. There are 2 levels with 2 categories on each level. On the top level are my most often used paints - these are my homemade glazes/washes with Cools in Left basket and Warms in the Right basket.

Underneath the glazes are the unaltered paint bottles. These I also grouped into Cools and Warms. They are all brands of cheap and expensive bottles of acrylics. Some bought at craft stores, some bought at hardware stores. After the testing is complete, I'll put the rolling tray back on the floor to roll the paints near my table whenever I get the urge to paint. 

Meanwhile, my fave paints, Golds, are all together in a drawer on top of my table within arm's reach. I tend to use gold paints most often.


DO YOU BELIEVE WHAT I DISCOVERED?

Something I found interesting when testing the bottled paints was that most of the dried up paint bottles were the expensive paints!  I was surprised. The cheap paints from the hardware store are still nice and fluid. Nevertheless, for ALL the bottled still wet paints, I'm adding Retarder and a few drops of distilled water to keep them juicy. I'm also adding a square of GLAD Press 'n Seal wrap under the cap of each bottle. This trick  works great to keep all my mediums moist and wet glues from drying out. So now it's time to retrofit my paint bottle lids. Fyi, I keep my glue sticks in ziploc baggies - all except the one glue stick that I'm using for the 'current' project.

P.S. Not included in this 'haul' are my Ranger Distress inks, paints, stains, re-inkers, stamp pads, handles. I have already re-organized them. I moved them out of a drawer (that kept falling and spilling contents on the floor). I  now keep Distress brand separate on top of my large rolling Ikea Alex unit (I scored three - already assembled with wheels - SUPER cheap at a going out of business sale) behind my chair. They're in easy reach OFF, not on, my table, that I'm trying to keep clear for working on the 'current' project only. Ha! Wish me luck!


YOUR TURN

Do you ever paint with fluid acrylic paints? Have you tried gelli/monoprinting? If, so what are some of your fave tube acrylic paint brands? What other colorants do you use in your monoprinting adventures?

Check out the other craft tables here at WOYWW from What's On Your Workstation Wednesday to see more of what we're doing!

Thanks for stopping by. Please comment - and don't forget to check out / enter my current Giveaway!

Peace,
LuLu



11 comments:

glitterandglue said...

Hi Lulu. Phew. Good thing it is almost my bedtime. After all that sorting I need a rest - and I'm sure you must, too.
I don't often paint at all in any medium - and have only once tried gelli prints. Didn't enjoy it, so confess I have never done it again. There's lots of paints in the house, though. My hubby was a painter - mostly in oils, but had all sorts of other paints about the place.
Take care. God bless.
Margaret #2

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Sorting the paint sounds like a good idea and something I really need to do again soon. There definitely are some paints that seem to last longer than others. I noticed your question too. I've used acrylics for Mono printing but also Distress Oxide inks too. Have a happy and creative woyww, Angela x18x

BJ said...

Gosh, what a lot of paints! I only have a few but after a long break from crafting I found lots had dried up too.
Happy WOYWW #BJ

Helen said...

I am sure a lot of my paints have dried up, I must get round to testing them..... well done on sorting your baskets of paints. Helen #1

Sarah Brennan said...

Sounds like quite a job Mary Lou but a good one. I have all my acrylic paints on IKEA trolleys next to my desk ranging from cheap hobby paints through Amsterdam to Golden high flow. I also have all the Distress colours and most Adirondack as well as the Dylusions paints. Wow that's a lot when they are all together. I use them for journals, gel printing and through stencils on cards as an alternative to ink some times. Have fun playing with yours. Stay safe and happy belated WOYWW. Sarah #4

Chrissie said...

I always say it's not a good idea to count one's stash items... it's all a little too scary
I recently found some Inca Gold which had dried up and I attempted to reconstitute it, it worked well enough to be reusable which is not often the case with lots of stash!
Take care and stay safe
Chrissie #21

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Lulu, great job on the sorting! have a drawer full of acrylic paints, most bought many years ago when I was painting small clay flower pots that later got filled with candles. have no idea how old they are, but they all seem ok, even though they were all only cheap ones. Stay safe, have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #3 X

Crafting With Jack said...

Think my problem is all my paints were bought for colour and I didn’t look to see what they were first, so I have ended up with.a Mishmash of different makes and types - opaque, dyna, transparent. It’s now wonder my painting is so hit and miss! Have a great week Angela #26

Karen said...

WOw ~ Great project ~ Good for you for gathering it all up, testing it all out, and resorting it for future projects :) Enjoy the rest of your week! Love, Karen#23

Helen said...

just cameback to thank you for the comment and the you tube recommendation- I have been on the look out for some new to me channels to look at - will spend some time at the weekend on Robin's channel. Helen #1

Spyder said...

Oh my goodness, Yes! sorting! I keep doing that and then, when I want something its not there coz I've moved it somewhere else! I have a lot of bigger 'Really Useful Boxes' which can't fit in anywhere, that hubby, (Under my instuction) added wheels to a bit of MFI so I can pile them on this and push them out into the hall to give me a bit more room, and then wheel them back when I've finished.
My last paint job (apart from painting my potting shed and some home made bi-fold doors, which hubby made) was to paint a black tree on an orange wall. Probably going to blog about that soon. Sorry I deleted the other message...there so many mistakes! But it's worded about the same!
((Lyn)) Happy WOYWW

Search Internet